Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Want to Go For a Ride?

Romans 15:13

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

I have a dog named Bentley. I call him "Bones" because when I first met him the poor guy was nothing but skin and bones. That was three years ago, and while he still maintains a slim physique, he is no longer the frightened, abandoned dog we first knew.

In brief, Bones is my guy. No matter where I go, he is most likely nearby. Here in my office he is sleeping right now on an ottoman right behind my chair. At night, he gets as close to me as he can, sometimes to the point where I have very little bed space left. For a small, ten pound pup, Bentley Bones makes his presence known.

But he is also the gentlest dog I have ever known. When I am writing at my desk, occasionally I will feel the gentlest of brushes against my leg. He never paws or scratches. Instead he just brushes his curly coat of hair on my leg, as if to say "Hi. Don't want to interrupt you, but if you have the opportunity, I could use a little affection." His demeanor is primarily calm and quiet, but if he senses danger, his bark is the toughest one in the house... including mine.

Bones loves to go for a ride. In fact, you can barely say those words without him going bananas. Then once in the car, he tries to sit in my lap or on the middle console. Oh what joy! Each car ride is the greatest ride ever! It is the thing he loves most of all, even above eating. Sometimes it is hard to get him to come into the kitchen to eat breakfast, if there is even a tiny chance of going for a ride. His tan eyes are filled with anticipatory hope, just waiting for me to tell him "Okay."

We are encouraged in Romans to have the same hope when it comes to living our lives in Christ. To be quite honest, I seldom see that kind of behavior in people. We keep our emotions in check, lest we be perceived as a total dweeb about our faith. One exception: I DO see it in my daughter. She is an amazingly honest Christian, who actually has a reputation among her friends of being the one to bring party to the party. Her sense of joy and hope is infectious. It is a blessing for me to see, and it is clear that the lives she touches agree.

Let us all strive to be hopeful and joyous. There is plenty of negative input in the world. Let's live our faith and be different. Be joyous. Be at peace. Overflow with hope as you trust in Christ. It is a journey of Joy. Get excited to "go for the ride."

No comments:

Post a Comment