Thursday, March 5, 2015

IMAO

Deuteronomy 6: 6-7
"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."

Here's the problem with little blogs like mine: I may be wrong.

I know. When one writes what they hope to be an inspirational piece, you want to impart some great truth of the world. But the fact is, I could have it all wrong. I'm pretty sure I have a couple things I believe that are probably incorrect.

So I have a disclaimer I like to impart every once in a while: If you think I am wrong, please tell me. Let's talk about it. I have had several people tell me they disagree with me over the years. Some have done it gently, others not so much. But if I am wrong about anything I write, I like to encourage my readers to share their thoughts. I welcome comments and I read them all. I seldom delete comments, unless someone is just absolutely over-the-top foul, hateful, or otherwise downright nasty. But I still read them. I do try to understand, and I do re-examine what I write and think at your urging.

Once or twice I have been convinced. I change my view, and have even deleted entries I determine to be wrong, thanks to your input, or that nagging little voice God puts in my ear to reconsider.

There is a popular text abbreviation people use these days: IMHO. In My Humble Opinion. But I have come to realize that in many cases, the opinions expressed are far from humble ones. I have seldom seen anyone's mind get changed in any online discussion. It just doesn't happen. In most cases, IMAO would be more appropriate. In My Arrogant Opinion.

The scripture quote I posted above was the quote of the day on BibleGateway.com. I didn't set out to find a verse to twist it to match what I write. I try very hard to not do that. Instead, what I write is usually in reaction to a verse I read, and so today I was led to the topic of discussing matters of faith. Thus, my intro.

To me, Internetspirations have been a place where I can go to express myself open and honestly. Occasionally something will happen that will trigger a thought. Often the craziest things, like some reaction my dog has, or one of my weird dreams will set me to writing. Along the way, I learn.

Internetspirations has been online since 1995 in one form or another, and over the past 20 years, I have learned a lot from it. I hope you have found it thought provoking too. Hopefully, every writer learns from taking the time to put pen to paper... or keyboard to blog sphere.

Matters of faith need to be discussed. There are some powerful voices in the world that seek to shut out voices of faith other than their own. Read the Bible, read discussions, talk about what you read with friends and family, and be open to hear the truth, even when it disagrees with your first understanding. That's the only way thoughts transform from simple words on the page to actually making a difference in your life. Trust God's word that the truth contained therein is strong enough to stand against the tides of popular opinion.

I believe in its integrity. IMHO. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment