Monday, March 16, 2015

Dressing in God's Style

Colossians 3:12

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

They say clothes make the man, and for me, the clothes come from my wife, Gwen, who is nothing short of a genius at the sewing machine. She made her wedding dress, prom dresses, sock monkeys, animal toys, quilts, wall hangings, barbecue covers, Christmas stockings and much more. But I really benefit the most, because she makes nearly all of my shirts.

She makes all kinds of them, but I think the ones I get the most compliments on are my Hawaiian style shirts. I was frustrated at trying to find comfortable sports shirts in my size that looked like something one could wear in public. So Gwen found a pattern or two, and then we went shopping for some decent fabric.

Over the years she has tweaked her pattern to take into account all the details I prefer: They are a little longer than most without looking like I am wearing a smock, They have perfectly matched pockets... even the buttons are placed specifically where they work best for me.

I constantly get positive comments about them, and I always tell them thank you, and let them know my loving wife created each one. Some are fun, some are classy... I even have one special one created just for Hallowe'en. There are wine themes, Christmas themes, fall colors and even one with Route 66 images, for those road trips! Each one is amazingly cool looking, and they give me a good feeling to wear them.

So much so, I am spoiled. Now when I have to wear a shirt that Gwen didn't make, I feel less-dressed, and trashy. Gwen's shirts fulfill my sense of style!

Today's verse tells us about other things to clothe ourselves in: Compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. These are gifts from God; ways of being that reflect the significant traits of a Christian. When we go out into the world, we want to reflect these traits over the other things people might see.

You've certainly heard about Christians who put Jesus stickers on their cars and then drive horribly. Do they not know that people really do judge Christians by our behavior?

So clothe yourself in the traits spelled out for us here. We may have our own style; but let us work to present the Lord's.

No comments:

Post a Comment