Monday, March 2, 2015

Come Forth As Gold

Job 23:10-11

"But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside."

What a remarkable thing for an individual to be able to say: Whenever your faith is tested, to come forth as gold! How I wish that were the case for me, and I suspect most of us feel that way.

This is an era when it is easy to turn aside. Distractions abound. I have an iPhone, an iPad, several televisions, podcasts, Facebook and the games with friends that can all pull my attention away at a moment's notice. And some of those attention grabbing things can be pretty upsetting.

Once the people of the world could only concern themselves with the events of their local neighborhood. It was long before we had the ability to learn news across vast distances, or had governments who could anger governments on the other side of the world, with the ability to throw hurt our way. Where once the threat was from marauding invaders in the neighborhood, threats now come from everywhere; even from space debris!

My dreams are often filled with thousands of people. Well, last night I was singing doo-wop with Robert Downey Jr., but in most cases, I find myself plodding through throngs of people as I attempt to complete some simple task, like get back to my car. I seldom complete the task. Even in my dreams distraction from my goal is commonplace.

I would love to be more focused on Christ and follow his steps more closely. It is a matter of discipline. I need to set aside the computers, the phones, the devices of distraction and retreat. Making that happen is going to take some lifestyle changes, but that is truly the purpose of Lent. We go through this 40 day cycle every year in order to reflect on our walk with God, and reaffirm our faith.

When I was a child in school, (I was raised Catholic and changed to a more Protestant point of view later) Lent was a time to give up some small thing that would remind me that with each urge to have the thing I forfeited, I would be reminded of Christ. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, and I know a number of people from all denominations who do just that very thing even in their adult life.

But Lent can be so much more. It can be a true retreat for your soul. It can be a time to really look inwardly at all the things that tug for attention, and reconsider the implications of following those urges.

Even now, as I write this, I have three small dogs at my feet urging me to come downstairs so they can have their dinner. Don't worry. They are not starved for a meal. These three jokers have it pretty good, food-wise. But there is also another thing they bring to my party; Life. I have been entrusted with their care, and I see fulfilling that care as part of my stewardship.

Friends and family too, have need of my time. It is important to respond to them because we all need a little soul-stroking from time to time from our friends and family.

The point is, When we take the time to focus on our relationship with God, only then can we see the difference between the things that would distract us, and the things God would have us be and do.

Take the next few weeks to really give Lent its due. Use the time to get back into doing what you are being called to do, and not let the distractions eat up your time. You will be happier for it, and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment