Thursday, April 9, 2015

About Being Openly Christian

I Corinthians 14:6-9

"Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air."

Ever take an online quiz? They are a regular staple in Facebook feeds, and my friends have shared their results from tests that range from "What kind of Personality do You Have?" to which "Disney villian are you?"

I used to do them for fun, but then I had a thought: What if all these results were being gathered and analyzed somewhere? The questions always seem innocent enough, but you constantly hear advice cautioning against revealing too much personal data online.

Now, I think that ship has probably already sailed for me, because I have been writing online for decades (really!), and have probably said way too much about me already. In the pre-cyber-criminal days, you seldom thought about someone using information against you. But it is a sad reality that all the things we reveal could provide someone just the right combination of informational bits to break into your bank account, steal your identity, or even stalk and harm your family.

It is sad to realize that much of the good and wonder the internet promised in its infancy has been misused and hijacked by criminal entities. And it is also sad that it causes us to become jaded and suspicious of the intentions of certain internet institutions. While I do not really think someone asking me which cartoon show I liked most as a child would provide anyone a clue to my online passwords (No, Yogi!Bear57 is not even close), other seemingly innocent questions could provide some fairly insightful information. Which of these four colors do you prefer? Choose a pet. What do you see in this inkblot? Frankly, those are the kind of answers that could come back to bite you later.

Today I took one for research purposes. It was a personality test based on my reaction to twelve paintings. For example, the quiz showed a picture of a young woman holding a book while behind her two people worked harvesting a field of grain. Then it asked a question "What is the girl thinking of?" It then offered six possible answers. (She desires a man who works hard, She came to visit her boyfriend, etc.) Frankly none of the answers even came close to my impression. I had to just pick one.

By the end of the test, I got a result that I was an idealistic person. I laughed at that, because I realized an optimistic person wouldn't be as suspicious of a quiz as I am. It seemed like a legitimate quiz, but then I have to wonder why someone would go to such lengths to create it. I would hope the answer is that it is somehow a kind of data collection project created by a graduate student somewhere developing research for a paper. I'd rather not think of more evil consequences. That's the idealist in me, I guess!

Yet there is a reason for the Christian to be transparent, and often to convey a thought, it becomes necessary to open and honestly reveal your most private thoughts. It is a risk, to be sure, because in the most extreme sense, as we are seeing now in the middle-east, many who have revealed their faith in Jesus Christ are now being beheaded and murdered in schools, towns, and beaches. But as for the western world, we become targets for derision and criticism from associates and strangers alike. Being a Christian sounds wonderful to us, because we know what it means for us. To others, they see it as a challenge and a judgement against them. We can end up dismissed or even despised.

Paul was writing to Corinth because there were a number of them who experienced a gift of the Holy Spirit know as speaking in tongues. We are told that after Christ ascended into the heavens, suddenly many of his Apostles spoke in languages they had never known before. Later, others began speaking in unknown languages not identifiable by others.

Paul wrote to acknowledge that for the person so gifted, it could be a wonderful experience. But it should be done only in private, because, quite plainly, it freaks out strangers when you do it in front of them!

Instead, he urged them to speak clearly and truthfully about the Gospel. What good does it do others if you cannot be understood?

And so it is with us: we need to reveal clearly the truth of our reconciliation with God in real words, that others will understand. And Paul knew there was a risk of it, because it could incite others to harm you. Still, unless we speak plainly, and clearly, that the promise of eternal salvation through Jesus Christ has been given, how else will the world know?

No comments:

Post a Comment